It is a new year, the time when we all set resolutions and goals. We are well into the month of January and I wonder, how many of you have kept your New Year resolutions so are? Never fear, we are here to help you keep them this year! What if we knew a secret formula to success when it comes to keeping your resolutions? Believe it or not, you really only need one ultimate resolution to help you keep the rest of your resolutions. Learn how to dance! Here are some common resolutions and how dance lessons will help you keep them.
So whether you have one all-important goal or a list to the floor, here is how you will keep your goal(s) with the help of dancing! What are you waiting for? Get in and dance today!
Resolution #1: Enjoy Life to the Fullest
- Too many of us live our lives vicariously through the characters we see in our favorite TV shows, friends, co-workers or celebrities whom all seem to have great stories. No more! This will be the year you live your story! Learning how to dance will give you the spice you are looking for: from taking risks, learning something new to redefining what a school night is. Dancing will add an element of excitement to your life that will make everyone else wish they were living your story!
Resolution #2: Try Something New
- Many people have danced at one point or another in their life. How many people have actually taken the time to learn to dance? Learning to dance opens your eyes to so much opportunity! Try something new by taking dance lessons and walk away with a new outlook on life, and a new skill! The best part? You don’t need a partner, you can do this just for you!
Resolution #3: Check Something off the Bucket List
- Pretty simple! If dancing or even just trying something new is on your bucket list, then get in for some dance lessons now. There is no time like the present to start checking off those bucket list items--especially if you have an ambitiously full "bucket"! Look at that, dancing is two fold in this case: helps with your New Year resolution and checks something off your bucket list at the same time!
Resolution #4: Live a Healthier Lifestyle
- Dancing improves your coordination, memory, decision making skills, reduces the risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s, reduces stress, diminishes depression, improves flexibility, helps with balance, increases energy, contributes to weight loss, helps you make new friends, benefits your heart health. Did I miss anything? See: Health Benefits of Dance
Resolution #5: Lose Weight
- If walking on a treadmill for 90 minutes sounds like a blast to you then you might be reading the wrong blog. But if you are looking for something a little faster, more fun, with some variety and a social element, then you will love dancing to your favorite songs for 90 minutes. Get ready to sweat! Dancing uses muscles you didn’t know you have. Plus, once you have a foundation of skills, you can practice those skills anywhere! In line at the grocery store, at your desk at the office, even in the kitchen while making dinner. You will be moving, grooving and burning calories all day. See: Dance Off the Fat
Resolution #6: Spend More Time With Loved Ones
- As many have found, dancing can be a great family bonding activity. It is ideal for a husband and wife, children, a couple dating or newly engaged, newlyweds, those who have been married for 50+ years and even for individuals and singles (if you are single, you just may meet someone dancing!). And an awesome bonus is that the people you meet and dance with become like family, especially at Arthur Murray! Not only are you spending more time together, you are spending QUALITY time together.
Resolution #7: Save more, Spend Less
- If getting rich is at the top of your list, dancing will not help you with this one in 2018. But learning to dance CAN help you save more and spend less. Once you learn what you need to do when dancing you will definitely spend less time watching others have all the fun at social events and you will save more friends and loved ones from bad dancing
Resolution #8: Getting Organized
- Because dancing requires a lot of fast decisions and learning how to do intricate moves in restrictive spaces, it requires you to organize your mind to make those things happen. Let's hope that trickles down to your life outside your head!
Resolution #9: Travel to New Places
- With over 30 dances to choose from, learning to dance can be an opportunity to choose your own adventure. Whether you want to dance an Argentine Tango in Argentina, the Viennese Waltz in Vienna or just prepare yourself to light up the floor in your kitchen, your teacher has something exciting for you to learn every visit that will take you to new places literally or figuratively.
Resolution #10: Quit Smoking
- Bonus! Most schools are indoors and do not allow smoking inside. Now it’s a matter of replacing that bad habit. Can we suggest you spend some time dancing to help replace that habit? Keep those hands busy and distract the mind! Plus when you quit smoking, you will be living a healthier lifestyle which was one of your other New Year's goals!
Resolution #11: Show More Kindness
- To stay consistent and be kind and helpful to others for the next 365 days, you need to make sure your battery is charged and ready for any challenge that my come your way. Dancing is not only a great outlet physically, it is also a great outlet for your mental and emotional needs. If you’re drained and want to get happy, jam out to your favorite song. If you are mad and want to release that anger, do a tango! This way you can get balanced to continue to grow your giving tree.
Resolution #12: Fall in Love
- Just like the Beatles said “All you need is love”. Dancing is the perfect way to fall in love and to keep the love alive for those of you who already found “the one”. There is a dance for everyone and everything! Fall in love with someone or fall in love with dancing…either way it is a win, win!
Resolution #13: Be Intentional
- Whether you want to be intentional with your own daily schedule or with time that you spend together with your significant other, dance lessons are a great way to do that. Instead of killing time scrolling through your social media feeds on your phone between other activities in your day, schedule a dance lesson. How about a group class with your significant other instead of sitting in a dark movie theater? Intentionally scheduling dance into your life will give you a feeling of satisfaction and so much more!
We could keep going on and on but we will leave the rest up to you! What are some things you hope to accomplish in the New Year? How can dance help you achieve them? Please share!